Becoming an Internet Search Master is KEY
For the time being, we’ll assume that you know the basics of the Internet and the World Wide Web, e.g., navigating to web sites, within web sites, and locating in formation you need through the use of powerful search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
Becoming an Internet Search Master is pretty high up on the proficiency ladder: This means that you not only know how to perform simple Google searches, but complex ones as well, searches in which you must “filter” the search criteria beyond the “plain vanilla text box” entry to specify exactly what kind of out put you want to get.
By focusing on getting finely focused results from intelligent search techniques, job searchers save a great deal of time and energy. Their entire job search strategy becomes much more targeted and much less scattered.
The following information comes from Google’s own Help pages and contains the best usage tips and guidelines for maximizing its search power.
GOOGLE SEARCH BASICS
- Every word matters. Most of the time, this means that every word you type in the search box will be given some “weight” in the query.
- Search is always case insensitive. For example, searching for [pittsburgh pirates] is the same as searching for [Pittsburgh Pirates].
- Punctuation is generally ignored (with some exceptions). Therefore, you will be unable to search for terms containing @#$%^&*()=+ , etc.
- Keep your queries simple. By loading up a query with lots of extraneous words, you force the search engine to retrieve many more pages than needed. For example, if you’re searching for band uniforms, just enter those two words; do not query on high school marching band uniforms.
- In your queries, use words that are most likely to appear on your desired search results. For example, instead of saying [my h ead hurts], say [headache]
- Keep your search queries descriptive but unique. Descriptive words enable the search engine to retrieve more relevant matches and unique words make the task even easier.
For a limited time you can submit a complimentary (free) application for Basic Membership with Empowering Today’s Professionals. If time is critical, save time with Professional Membership as the recommended level PROVEN to get INTERVIEWS quicker.