Are You Prepared, I Mean Really Prepared?
by Tony Cretella, Entrepreneur, CEO & Founder of Custom Sign Source, ETP Professional Member since 2008 and ETP Lamplighter Newsletter contributing writer.
Having a company that focuses mostly on B2B (Business to Business), I tend to get people making sales calls to sell me their services – printing/copier services, payroll services, energy efficiency services and the like. I am always amazed at the lack of preparation of the sales people who walk through my door, a true COLD CALL to say the least.
With the vast array of informational sources available, how hard would it be to do some simple research? Heck, even visiting my web site to see what my company does would be a start. Learning something about the sign industry would certainly help narrow down what products and services they carry that I might use. You get the idea. Preparation builds con-fidence and that shows in how you carry yourself, speak, and engage with others.
And so . . . how well do you prepare yourself in finding your opportunities, connecting with a potential employer, reaching out to build a relationship, or helping others with their quest?
- Research the company, industry, competitors, key business trends, recent articles and publications, products and services, markets, customers?
- Learn about the people by utilizing on-line tools such as LinkedIn, Face book, Colleges and University Alumni Associations, Twitter, Google and too many others to mention?
- Connect with others who are at the same organization to learn about the culture, history, organizational changes and the softer side of things?
Where possible — visit the physical environment, observe what goes on, see how people act, get a feel for what it would be like if….
- Do a SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) ON YOURSELF to find your inner self so you can align what you have offer to what they are seeking, how good is the match?
- Know the company’s Mission, Vision, Philosophy, Principles, Strategy, Corporate and Community Citizenship.
- Not sure how to do some of these things? Immerse yourself in the wealth of knowledge offered by Empowering Today’s Professionals (ETP), live the mentality of being the CEO of Me, Inc and embrace the 7 Step Job Search and you will be prepared, I mean really prepared!
For a limited time you can submit a complimentary (free) application for Basic Membership with Empowering Today’s Professionals. If time is critical, save time with Professional Membership as the recommended level PROVEN to get INTERVIEWS quicker.